CBT Guide

Looking to complete your CBT in London?

Metropolis Motorcycles has a professional and experienced training school, located in Vauxhall in central London.

All learner motorcyclists are legally required to hold a valid Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) Certificate in order to ride on the road. The CBT course teaches basic motorcycle riding skills. Don’t worry you don’t have to have any motorcycle experience to take the course.

Who needs to do a CBT?

You will need to complete a CBT if:

  • You want to ride a moped (engine not over 50 cc with maximum design speed not exceeding 50 kilometres per hour)
  • You want to ride a motorcycle

What does CBT involve?

The full day course is made up of both onsite and on-road training and riding.

The CBT course consists of five elements:

A. introduction
B. practical on-site training
C. practical on-site riding
D. practical on-road training
E. practical on-road riding

The five elements have to be completed in this order. You will only move on to the next element when your instructor is satisfied you have learnt the necessary theory and demonstrated the practical skills to a safe basic level. You will receive a minimum two hour on-road ride in Element E.


Do I get a certificate?

Yes. When all five elements have been completed satisfactorily, a certificate of completion, called the DL196, will be issued. This is a legal document which validates the relevant entitlements on your driving licence. You can now ride on the road on a learner legal motorcycle.

Your DL196 certificate is valid for two years. If you do not pass both your practical and theory tests within two years you will have to retake your CBT.

For moped users only – if you pass your car driving test whilst your DL196 is still current or complete a CBT course after passing your car test, the certificate is not subject to expiry, you will therefore need to keep your DL196 certificate safe.

What’s next?

Once you have your certificate is it advisable to take additional training to pass your theory and practical tests and qualify for a motorcycle or moped licence. Keep your certificate safe as you will need to take this with you when you take your practical test.