Which Course is For Me?

Training - Learn To Ride
Training - Which Course

At Metropolis Training we aim to make the whole process as easy for you as possible… however there are many options and choices depending on what age you are, what type of licence you might have and what kind of 2-wheels you want to ride. This site will take you through everything you need to know from initial steps to becoming a fully qualified rider.

From a free one hour taster session (Get On) or riding a scooter (Compulsory Basic Training CBT) to riding a 500cc+ motorbike (DAS Full Licence) or if you want to improve your riding skills and reduce your insurance premiums (Enhanced Rider Scheme ERS), the instructors at Metropolis Training will give you the very best riding tuition.

What’s more we offer a Super Seven All Inclusive for the motorcycle novice with little or no motorcycle experience.  It is an intensive course where you will benefit from the experience and knowledge of our expert trainers to help you achieve your licence in record time. Whatever type of course you decide is right for you, our fully qualified, friendly trainers will help you achieve your aims. If at any time you feel you’d like more information, or you’ve actually decided which course you’d like to book, don’t hesitate to contact us and we’ll be pleased to help you.

What do I need?

When you’re starting out it’s probable that you won’t already own a bike or have all the equipment required. All Metropolis Training’s courses include bike hire and basic equipment – helmet and waterproofs – making learning to ride with us simply and easy from the very start!

Route to Riding

Provisional Licence
You need a provisional Category A licence, either included in your full car licence or as part of a provisional licence.

You must complete Compulsory Basic Training before you ride any moped, scooter or motorcycle on the road. If you have a full car licence issued before 1st February 2001 you may ride a restricted 50cc moped on the road without L plates (and carry a passenger), but you still need to pass CBT to ride any motorcycle over 50cc.

Theory Test
You must pass a motorcycle theory test before taking any practical motorcycle test, even if you have a full car licence. But if you have passed a two part moped test or a lower category motorcycle test since 1st July 1996 you need not take the theory test. The Theory Test Pass Certificate is valid for 2 years.

A1 Motorcycle Licence
Minimum age 17. If you only want to ride a 125cc motorcycle, you can train and take the test on a machine of 125cc 14.6 bhp  and get a Category A1 motorcycle licence. You can carry a passenger and use motorways, but your licence will not automatically convert into a full Category A2 or A licence. You will have to complete one of the other routes if you want to ride a bigger motorbike

Restricted / A2 Motorcycle Licence
Minimum age 19.Training and testing are on a Automatic Scooter of 395cc or a Restricted motorcycle of 600cc with a power output of no more than 46.6 bhp. Passing the practical test gets you a restricted Category A2 motorcycle licence, which lets you ride any Automatic or motorcycle up to 46.6 bhp (25kw)*You can carry a passenger and use the motorways, and don’t need L plates. After 2 years you can apply for a A Licence even if you are under 24, you may have to re-sit a Theory test. Please note if you complete the Automatic Licence you can only ride Automatics.

DAS (Direct Access Scheme)
You must be over 24 to follow this route.  Training and testing use a combination of 125cc and 600cc motorcycles, which you are allowed to ride on the road with a qualified instructor. Your test must be done on a machine of at least 53.6 bhp 595cc. When you pass, you immediately have a full category A motorcycle licence, can ride a machine of any size, carry a passenger and use motorways.

Passing your test should not be the end of your training. Further training will help you ride more safely and enjoy being in control of your motorcycle. The DSA Enhanced Rider Scheme is one way to improve your riding – and save money on insurance premiums

What licence do you have?
The date and country where your licence was issued is important:

Full UK Car Licence issued before 1st Feb 2001

  • You have full scooter (up to 49cc) and provisional motorcycle entitlement
  • Whilst you do not need to take Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) we would recommend it to ensure you know how to handle your scooter, what do look out for when riding and fully understand the basics
  • You also don’t need L-plates and can carry passengers on 49cc bikes
  • To ride anything larger than 49cc you must complete CBT and the certificate is then valid for two years, allowing you to ride up to 125cc with L-plates

Full UK Car Licence issued after 1st Feb 2001

  • You must take Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) before using your full scooter entitlement
  • Once completed, you can ride up to 49cc scooters without L-plates and carry passengers until your car licence expires
  • You may ride motorcycles up to 125cc on the same certificate, but for two years only and with L-plates
  • You are not allowed to carry passengers on any machine

UK Provisional Licence (cars and motorcycles)

  • You must complete Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) before you ride either motorcycles or scooters
  • CBT validates your licence up to 125cc and allows you to ride for two years, during which time you must display L-plates
  • You are not allowed to carry passengers on any machine
  • You must also display L-plates

EU Licence

  • You must apply for a GB counterpart using a D9 form available from Metropolis or The Post Office. You must ensure that when you fill in the application, you tick the box that gives you motorcycle entitlement. The DVLA will send back your new licence, which should have and ‘A’ in the top left corner.
  • You are not allowed to carry passengers on any machine

American/ Canadian License

  • You must be a resident of the UK and must apply for a full GB licence
  • You are not allowed to carry passengers on any machine

Please note: All provisional motorcycle licences (cat A) are now valid for the same length as your provisional car and scooter entitlement. If your licence shows a two-year entitlement only, you can arrange to have this reinstated